The Royal Mile from the upper half (High Street) and the lower half (Canongate) consists connects Edinburgh Castle with the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
It is a beautiful historic street with numerous attractions:
(1) Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre
In this visitor attraction tells you everything about the 300-year history of National and beverage production, color and smell of the Whisky´s . Internet: www.whisky-heritage.co.uk
(2) Outlook Tower
"Laird of Cockpen" once lived in the old observatory whose lower floors from the early 17th Century and from that you have a beautiful view.
Maria Short built 1852 the upper floor, the terrace and the camera obscura (a large pinhole camera) to it.
(3) Tolbooth Kirk
is in the Gothic style between 1842-1844 by Augustus Pugin (1812-1852) and James Gillespie Graham (1777-1858) have been built.
With 74m (240ft), it is the tallest tower Edinburgh `s.
(4) Gladstone`s Land
"Lands" as it was called was a clerk of the House (17th century) and at the time reflected the typical life again. The builder (1617) was the businessman Thomas Gledstanes.
(5) Lady Stair`s House
Built by Sir William Gray of Pittendrum In 1622, is now a museum in the writer's life and you work from Burns, Scott and Stevenson can visit.
(6) Heart of Midlothian
in 1561 this place was originally a customs office for wholesalers, later then the old former prison where many people found their death.
The heart of granite-colored paving stones where the heads from recently deceased criminals were shown is now a monument to the many hearts from the people that here have found the death.
(7) St. Giles Cathedral
also the "High Kirk" Church of Scotland called owns at the entrance of an angel playing bagpipes and the beautiful "Thistle Chapel" (with beautiful wood carvings and heraldic) all the deceased and live Knight of the " Order of the Thistle " honors. The Royal Bank is located in the Preston-wing on the Queen Elizabeth II during your visit takes place in Edinburgh.
(8) Charles II Statue
The statue shows Charles II dressed as a Roman emperor on the back of his horse. She is the oldest statue in Edinburgh and one of the oldest in Britain, built by James Smith in 1685.
The Statue come from the Netherlands and is created by Grinling Gibbons a famous Dutch sculptor and master carver.
(9) Parliament House
Built in 1632 and served Charles I commissioned the Scottish
As the seat of parliament 1639-1707. Previously, the Government Affairs in the Old Tolbooth, "and then" St Giles' held. The roof in the Gothic style from Danish oak was planned by John Scott. Besides many image columns is also a picture of the judges' Duncan Forbes' again. Today, this house still serves as a meeting place for lawyers.
(10) City Chambers
1753 was designed by John Adams and served as mayor of Edinburgh mansion. Here also spent "Mary Queen of Scots" their last night. In the courtyard stands a pillar image of "Alexander the Great" as he trained his horse.
(11) Mercat Cross
At this cross is the city center. Bonnie Prince Charlie (Charles Edward Stuart 1720 - 1788) was here in the year 1745 was proclaimed king. He was the last of his family, is entitled to the English crown rose. After he scathingly at Culloden was beaten, he escaped in September 1746 after France and died in 1788 in Rome.
(12) Tron Kirk
When the Bishop of Edinburgh in St. Giles Cathedral reigned, it was for the Presbyterian Church in the year 1636-47 by John Mylne built. The church displays a curious mixture of Gothic and Palladian architectural styles on. The original tower was built in the Great Fire of 1824 and was destroyed by R. & R. Dickson in 1828 with a higher peak newly built. 1952 was the right of ownership to the city of Edinburgh on administration and was henceforth no longer church. 1974 was found in the grave restoration work of the "Wynd of marlin" (known French stonemasons, Walter Merlion), including the basement and office buildings, which is from Him in 1532 was restored. Today it is as a visitor information center for the Old Town of Edinburgh used, with a beautiful exhibition of "Wynd of Marlin."
(13) Moubray House
was founded in 1477 by Robert Moubray built and one of the oldest buildings on the Royal Mile. 1529 Andrew Moubray built a new house at the back. During the 18th Century it was considered tavern and used bookstore. Daniel Defoe (who wrote Robinson Crusoe) lived in this house, as long as he Edinburgh Courant (a pamphlet) in the year 1710 issued.
(14) John Knox`s House
In John Knox's House, built in 1450 and thus the oldest house in Edinburgh's, lived in the middle of the 16th Century, the curate of St Giles Cathedral and leader of the Protestant Reformation's "John Knox" . The exhibition illustrates the life of John Knox in connection with the political and religious unrest.
(15) Museum of Childhood
was founded in 1477 by Robert Moubray built and one of the oldest buildings was approved by the City Patrick Murray founded in 1955 and reflects the joy and suffering of the children of former world again. Over several floors, the visitor a Giant toy exhibition. The museum was the first worldwide, which is concerned with the issue of childhood toys and addressed.
(16) Morocco`s Land
was founded in 1477 by Robert Moubray is a reconstruction of one floor apartment of the eighteenth century by architect Robert Hurd. The name owes the house of a Muslim statue at the entrance. The residents, Andrew Gray was unrest due to death, but managed to flee to Morocco. When he was through luck in Morocco came to prosperity, he returned back to Edinburgh, married the daughter of Lord Provost and now lived in this house.
(17) Museum Huntley House
has been At the beginning of the 16th Century and probably owes the name of George I, Marquis of Huntly, the 1636 briefly lived there. 1544, it was during the British raid on Edinburgh destroyed, and later as a family town house, but it should be restored in the 19th Slam dilapidated century. The city bought the building in 1924 and 1932, opened a museum. The title 'The Talking House' got the house because of the Latin inscription panels on the exterior.
(18) Canongate Tolbooth " The People´s Story "
was founded in 1591 built since 1954 and serves as a museum of Edinburgh's social history. Will be shown everything about the life of the late 18th Century until today. Sooner was the house with its beautiful clock tower center of the "castle of Canongate," from the middle of the 19th Century, it was as a court and prison use. At the front of the building is a Latin inscription says: "The place of the label of the free city. For someone country and its successor," 1591.